Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Something About Blood - Genesis 9


And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth.  "The fear of you and the terror of you will be on every beast of the earth and on every bird of the sky; with everything that creeps on the ground, and all the fish of the sea, into your hand they are given.  "Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant.  "Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.  "Surely I will require your lifeblood; from every beast I will require it. And from every man, from every man's brother I will require the life of man.
  "Whoever sheds man's blood // By man his blood shall be shed,
   For in the image of God // He made man.”
"As for you, be fruitful and multiply; Populate the earth abundantly and multiply in it." (Genesis 9:1-7 NASB)

There are a few imperatives in this passage, but I don’t see any of them as “laws” per se (again, a matter of opinion).  If the criteria I established for myself in the last post are used, then none of these verses work as a law because none of the imperatives have consequences specified.  Verses 4 and 5 along with the poetic element in verse 6 though do have consequences, it’s just that the prohibitions are not constructed using an imperative.  I think I need to widen my criteria to include prohibitions with consequences.

So now my criteria could be revised as follows:  If the text has an imperative or prohibition coupled with a consequence, whether good or bad, I will consider that as one sort of legal text.  Second, if an imperative or prohibition is coupled with a declaration of endorsement or rational support, a reason is given for it; I will consider that as a second sort of legal text.  If I modify these criteria in this way, then verse six fits nicely.  I believe the context also supports seeing this as a “law” since there is the establishment of a covenant taking place as part of Noah and his family leaving the ark.  Laws are often components of covenants helping establish responsibilities of either party.

These laws are both about blood.  One is about consuming meat with the blood still in it, and the other is about shedding the blood of another person.  The consequences are stiff.  When meat is consumed with the blood in it, the blood of the offender will be required.  But another way to look at verse 5 is as the consequences if any person or beast (or brother) sheds the blood of a person rather than eating the meat with the blood.  The problem I face is that if verse 5 is taken as the consequence of taking the life blood of a person, then this “law” no longer fits my criteria.  There is no “imperative” or prohibition with the consequence.

But there is a third way to see verse 5 as well.  It could be that it is not a consequence but an explanation of the prohibition in verse 4.  The reason blood is not to be consumed is that God reserves to Himself the blood of any living thing.  It belongs to God, so it is not to be consumed.  This is interesting for a variety of reasons; the cultural ones are the murkiest, but probably the most important.  I think that my interpretation lays more this direction, viewing verse 5 as a consequence of verse 4.  Execution for eating blood in meat seems a bit extreme, even for God.

The text of verse six actually meets both criteria of consequence and rational support.  In this verse it is the shedding of human blood, the violence that brought on the flood in the first place, to which God refers.  Here is laid down the rule that killing a person forfeits the killer’s life.  The rationale is that people are made in the image of God.  Therefore destroying this image is a personal affront to the Maker of the image, God.  It seems rational.  In fact, it is odd that it has to be said, I would think it would be obvious; that this law would have already been in place.  The earliest legal texts found so far all include prohibitions against murder with stiff penalties.  Perhaps they all stem from this one.

So what does all this tell me about my Master?  What do I learn of His character?  What is important to Him?  What would He have me do in consequence?

The first thing that strikes me is that blood is very important to God.  There may be cultural issues here, but I also see a place where sacrifice is foreshadowed, eventually leading to Jesus on the cross.  Blood is important, and here it is used to refer to the life of a person.  The term translated “lifeblood” is taken from the literal Hebrew terms, “your (2nd plural) bloods to/for your (2nd plural) souls.”  The blood of your soul isn’t as cut and dried as it sounds since soul isn’t always used the same way in Hebrew.  Here the context supports understanding soul as the whole person, or the living essence of the person. 

This living soul is important to my Master.  Death is a big deal to Him, and requires the punishment of death for those who kill.  I catch a glimpse of the pain my Master felt as He felt remorse over having created people in the first place.  The choice of fruit in the Garden of Eden had far reaching consequences, well beyond the death of Abel.  Cain’s descendants were a rampant scourge on the earth.  Cain and his descendants are not mentioned in lineages past Genesis 6.  He and all his children were eventually wiped from the face of the earth.  I see something here of the magnitude of the importance of the image of God to my Master.

And what of eating meat with blood in it?  I see in verse 5 that my Master reserves the blood to Himself.  Even before a “sacrificial” system, my Master claims the blood of any living thing as holy and His, without calling it holy; by claiming it, it become holy by definition (another action defining a term not used before).  Later on I will find that blood outside of the sanctuary profanes the person in contact with it.  Again, it belongs to God, and is reserved to Him.  Individuals in contact with it have to be cleansed. 

I cannot take blood so lightly.  I cannot take life so lightly.  Those living around me are living people in the image of God, and they are precious to my Master.  I stay away from them in fear, and keep the light and hope within me hidden.  Why?  These are precious people to my Master.  Their lives, their blood belong to Him.  How can I not do something to bring that vital news to them?  They may not receive it, but they might.  They may not want to have anything to do with church, but they might.  It’s not about church anyway; it’s about my Master’s love for them.  Once they experience that, they will desire church and Bible study, and all the rest.

In this account, God makes explicit what was implicit before.  He wants me and all His human creatures to know how precious they are to Him; how painful to Him it is when we destroy each other.  Do I get that?  I’m no pacifist, but it’s not hard to see the effects of the destruction of families, of lives, and hate that.  Countries are now “digging” their way out of the pain and destruction of war.  Do I see that pain of my Master that has viewed all this as sadness and waste?

But to bring it home to me personally, I play games that are violent.  Should I?  Are these games eroding my ability to see people as precious ones to God?  That is something I really need to take a good look at.  All the ones I play are military in nature, and that takes a lot of the stigma away.  God has and I believe does lead nations to war as punishment on other nations.  I believe He sets up and tears down rulers today in much the same way as He did in the record of His work among the Israelites in Scripture.  God commanded death, and complete and utter destruction for some in Canaan.  Again, this is not a cut and dried answer.  Violence clearly belongs to rulers and authorities.

Something that reflects the touch of sadness felt by my Maker is contained in verse 6.  The prohibition is given a consequence, so following it relies on a person’s self-interest.  Yet the reason given is the Image of God in each person.  I detect the wish of my Master that His image was enough to warrant holding life precious; this rule is a concession that pains His heart to have to give.  But I also see that my Master doesn’t give up on me just because my nature is flawed.  He works with me where I am to bring me closer to His design.  His Spirit within me works transformation of me more into the image of my Master.  The Image of God lives and I represent the hopes and desires of my Master!

No comments:

Post a Comment